RE: layers

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:57:40 +0100
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> From:	Helle BjarnÝ [SMTP:hbj@visinfo.dk]
>
> Can any one guide me to WCAG on layers. I've been asked if it's OK to use
> layers in stead of  mouse over or some other technique to show a text when
> one passes a link  with the mouse. Next question: an accessible
> alternative
> to drop down menus or how to make them accessible to JAWS 3.3 users?
	[DJW:]
	Layers are Netscape proprietory HTML, not W3C HTML.

	Layer animation would require Javascript, and therefore be subject
	to the priority 1 rule that the page work without
	Javascript.

	The nearest standard equivalent of layers is a position absolute
	style, which is subject to a priority 1 rule that the page work
	without styles.  Netscape maps a subset of this into layers, and
	uses its layers DOM, rather than the one implied by the
	CSS HTML.

	Drop down menus also are subject to the priority 1 rule about
	scripting.