RE: layers

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:57:40 +0100
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> From:	Helle BjarnÝ [SMTP:hbj@visinfo.dk]
> Can any one guide me to WCAG on layers. I've been asked if it's OK to use
> layers in stead of  mouse over or some other technique to show a text when
> one passes a link  with the mouse. Next question: an accessible
> alternative
> to drop down menus or how to make them accessible to JAWS 3.3 users?
	Layers are Netscape proprietory HTML, not W3C HTML.

	Layer animation would require Javascript, and therefore be subject
	to the priority 1 rule that the page work without

	The nearest standard equivalent of layers is a position absolute
	style, which is subject to a priority 1 rule that the page work
	without styles.  Netscape maps a subset of this into layers, and
	uses its layers DOM, rather than the one implied by the

	Drop down menus also are subject to the priority 1 rule about