Re: portable network graphics

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen <lras@loc.gov>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:05:19 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Reading inside PNG or SVG files isn't something screen readers can do, if
they are really reading the screen.  If they are getting part of their
information from something like MS Active Accessibility, then this might be
possible.  This is more likely to work in self-voicing browsers like Home
Page Reader, PWWebspeak, Brookestalk, etc.  But I don't think anyone is
making use of text embedded in images.

At 06:19 PM 7/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Can screen readers pick up png metadata?
>
>It seems that 'separating content from presentation' is a fair description
>for 'making site accessible'.  Integrating the equivalent of an 'alt tag'
>into an image file seems to be along these lines.  Is there anything going
>on to get rid of alt tags and put that information somewhere else?

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <lras@loc.gov>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <lras@sprynet.com>   <http://lras.home.sprynet.com