Re: Tool Tip behavior

From: Marjolein Katsma <access@javawoman.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 22:56:45 +0100
To: "Bruce Bailey" <bbailey@clark.net>, "Web Accessibility Initiative" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Bruce,

At 15:58 2000-03-03 -0500, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Dear Marjolein et al.,
>
>Thanks for addressing both my question and my problem -- even though the two
>turned out not to be terribly related!  Apologies to all about the missing
>Subject line!
>
>Getting back to http://www.dohistory.org, from an access point of view, the
>main problem is the missing ALT content.  These are the folks who were
>deliberately removing ALT tags because it distracted from their desired
>JavaScript mouse-over behavior.

Ah!

>Is there JavaScript code that suppresses this default "tool-top/pop-up"
>behavior of IE?  I was hoping that TITLE="" would do it, but that doesn't
>sound like it would be the case.

I should hope not! I *use* the tooltips. If I came across a page that had ALT attributes and managed to use JavaScript to suppress the tooltips, I'd immediately construct a filter for my trusted Proxomitron (an HTML/JavaScript filter program that functions as a local proxy) to suppress that suppressing JavaScript so no other site could do that to me again. ;-)

Seriously though, I don't think it's possible.

[snip]

>The work around was to have the main page pretty much JavaScript free
>(yeah!) but have one script that invoked the JavaScript oriented site
>instead.  This was even better!
>         <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
>         <!--
>                 top.location.href=("http://www.somewhere.com/indexjs.html");
>         //-->
>         </SCRIPT>

Nice!
But it's still a tradeoff between downloading extra bytes (which would be ignored) and an extra connect. Which is more efficient? I have no idea. And you have two pages to maintain (or generate) instead of one.

Cheers,

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/
Bookstore for Webmasters - http://hshelp.com/bookstore/bookstore.html