Re: What's the scoop on Lynx for DOS

From: ADAM GUASCH-MELENDEZ <ADAM.GUASCH@EEOC.GOV>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:17:26 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
There are two versions to consider. One is truly DOS-based - you can run it on, say, an old 386/486 running DOS. The other is a Win32 version. You can run it on Windows 95/98/NT, but it's still a text-mode program. The Win32 version, at least, compares quite well with the Unix version. This is NOT the old DOSLynx, which had a separate code base and lacked many of the Unix features.

Both can be obtained at:

     http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm

For further information, see http://lynx.browser.org/

Adam Guasch-Melendez
EEOC

>>> "Alan Cantor" <acantor@interlog.com> 03/03 1:38 PM >>>
My IPS is about to discontinue shell account access, and with it, support for
Lynx, which is my browser of choice for most things. I recall hearing about a
Dos-based version of Lynx that can be run on a Windows-based PC. Three
questions:

1. How does Dos Lynx compare with Unix Lynx?
2. Can the program be installed by a technophobe?
3. Where do you get it?

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor + Associates