Re: LANG and proper names; voice browsers and roman numerals

At 06:46 PM 2/27/00 , Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>but, with the state of today's technology, i still hear "George Two" and
>"George Three", as JFW does interpret double capital eyes as "two", and
>triple capital eyes as "three", but that's the extent of it's knowledge of
>roman numerals...

Just as a footnote, if someone really wanted Roman numerals spoken
correctly it
would be what the math books like to call a "trivial exercise" (i.e.,
conceptually easy but tedious) to define entries for most of them in the
screen-reader's pronunciation dictionary. Thus "XIV" = "fourteen", "LXIII" =
"sixty-three" etc.

The system would break down though for single Roman numerals, since no screen
reader alive can figure out if the I in "After Leopold I came to power" is a
pronoun or a numeral. ... So the markup could be handy if implemented.

Patrick

Patrick J. Burke

burke@ucla.edu
http://www.dcp.ucla.edu/staff/patrick.htm

University of California
Los Angeles
The Disabilities & Computing Program
at the UCLA Office of Academic Computing

Analyzing Usability
Since 1994