Re: ABBR vs. ACRONYM

Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> In my opinion, something that is pronounced as a word is an ACRONYM,
> something that is spelled out as letters is not an ACRONYM.  Any
> shortened form of a word that is not an ACRONYM is an ABBR.

I have always been under the impression that HTML is normalized to the
English language.  I believe the HTML spec references this, as well.  As
such, Merriam Webster (http://www.m-w.com/) defines those two terms as
such:

ac·ro·nym
    : a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter
or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound
term.

ab·bre·vi·a·tion
  1 : the act or result of abbreviating : ABRIDGMENT
  2 : a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the
whole <amt is an abbreviation for amount>

Neither of those definitions make reference to pronunciation.  The
examples cited by Merriam Webster are in direct conflict with your
examples cited previously.

--
,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project - http://www.opensa.org/