RE: Drop-down navigation boxes (fwd)

From: Wayne Myers-Education <wayne.myers@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:48:46 -0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,

This question came up recently in the BBC - I thought I'd answered
correctly, and would like to double check I'm right, since I am no longer
wholly sure. I have been operating with the idea that no form element in
HTML is in itself a problem, it's just a question of creating the form in
such a way as to be navigable with the keys only. Is that right? Or should I
get back to my colleague and tell them no, avoid drop-down boxes.

BTW, in case anyone was confused by the misinfo, drop-down navigation boxes
in HTML require neither Java nor Java script - a server side CGI script
(about three lines of Perl, maybe more in other languages), can provide a
drop-down box handler that will function identically regardless of the
calling browser, and will also remove the temptation (or indeed ability) to
implement something that lacks a 'Do The Thing I Just Asked You To' button
and acts as soon as thing selected in the drop-down is selected. (Ugh.)

Cheers etc.,

Wayne

Wayne Myers
Software Engineer, BBC Digital Media,