Linked text in w3c-wai-ig archives.

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:02:14 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello all:
I have an accessibility question about accessing the archives by some field (e.g. author, title, subject, thread).
One example,

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/1999OctDec/author.html
I expected the linked text to be the author, so when I tab from link to link and land on the author I am interested in, a page is brought up with messages by that author  when I hit the enter key.

Instead, I hear "Re: ... " with no author in it at all.
This is the subject (or thread, there's no way to determine that either).
My guess is the author is some kind of visual heading but not a link.
In effect, it is sorted by author only if you access it by sight but
it is by subject when you access it by speech output using the tab key to move from link to link.
Can this be changed to be more natural when using a screen reader?
-Steve