Re: a site in scotland

From: Paul Booth <paul@disinhe.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:38:06 -0000
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman@clark.net>, "wai-ig list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi there David,

I've been interested in how these "Cool Site" or "Best of the Web" things
work for a while now.  For example, one magazine I used to read had regular
"Best Site" awards - most of which were not even nearly accessible at all
(and therefore potentially illegal of course).  I wrote to them but got no

However I am pleased to say that at least the British Higher Education
awards this year are looking at accessibility as a criteria for judging the

On the separate issue of the Silicon Glen site (I assume its referring to
the technology and not the implants!), you should be aware that
Accessibility has a far lower profile here than in the US.  That's not
an excuse of course, but perhaps a reason.  I think on the whole web
developers over here don't even realise that there are issues.  Of course I
think this is increasingly being redressed (as I hope even the funding of
our centre demonstrates) but we have a long way to go.

Anyway, as I'm only just up the road from the site developer, in Dundee,
I'll drop him a line.  In fairness to him, his site is better than many I
have seen.   I'm more worried about half of the organisations web sites that
he links to however.  I used to be involved with some of them so I'll see
what I can do.

- Paul
Paul Booth, Project Officer, DISinHE Office.
The national centre for Disability and Information Systems in Higher
Department of Applied Computing, University of Dundee, Scotland
w:  http://www.disinhe.ac.uk/     t: 01382 345050      f: 01382 345509