RE: FrontPage98 & Accessible Output

Jamie,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

The folks I am trying to train really don't even understand directory
structures.  They keep original documents on floppy disks because, it seems
to them, files are "lost" on the hard drive.

If I tried to teach the person who needs to know FTP command, her eyes would
gaze over immediately.  I think I could give her printed rote directions,
but I don't want to even go there.

One reason why FrontPage makes sense for my setting is that eventually our
content will be forced to move (from the perfectly good public domain Linux
machine where it is now) to a Windows NT IIS machine controlled by our
parent agency.  I have been told that they use FrontPage to manage the
firewalls and permissions, and to ensure that pages go through the proper
bureaucratic delays before they are given the routine rubber-stamp seal of
approval.  (I could speak to you of my attempts to get checks for "validity"
and "accessibility" introduced into that procedure, but it is best for all
that I not go there.  Let me just say that I am grateful to be outside of
that system for the time being.  Basically, the road blocks are there
because the that management does not trust their workers not to embarrass
them.  That is what the procedure tests for.  These managers are NOT shamed
by invalid or inaccessible code, however.  Let me just say that I am
grateful that I don't work for them in any terribly direct fashion!)

Jamie, I am confused as to what you actually use FrontPage FOR.  I like your
site.  It is, as you claim, clean and accessible.  I am guessing you used
FrontPage to create the GIFs used for buttons.  From your description,
though, it sounds like you disabled everything you could, and used more
direct tools for many tasks, including FTP posting of the site.  I think the
way you are using FrontPage might be the way *I* might use it, but that
won't work for the person I have to train!

I think it is FrontPage's actions when one uses its "publish" command that I
found the most objectionable.  Unfortunately, I think this is one of the
features I need to work!

Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey