how do you teach good taste

From: Reidy Brown <rbrown@blackboard.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:48:51 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
MELINDA MORRIS-BLACK wrote:
------------------
My question is, how do you teach good taste and common sense? : )
------------------

I think that one answer is with lots of good examples. Web designers and
developers tend to be self-educated; they learn new "tricks" when they see
something interesting on another web site, view the source, and try to copy
it, or even push the concept further. (Thus the proliferation of scrolling
status bar messages, Go! buttons on select boxes, and stripes down the side
of a web page.) It's probably much more effective to show web developers
screen shots and code snippets than a list of rules-- better still, show
them entire functional web sites. Give people examples of how accessible
design can be powerful, attractive, and dynamic... they'll copy it.

But it's important to match the "look and feel"... trying to convince a
marketing firm with an example of an accessible web journal, say, won't
work. So we need different types of examples... some flashy, some content
rich, some simple. Of course, developing the library of sample sites will
take time and effort, but that's what we do for a living, after all.

Reidy
Reidy Brown
Accessibility Coordinator/
Software Engineer