Re: screen readers, browsers, & the reporting of ALT on & in image maps

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:52:50 -0500
To: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
This is really a problem with the software.  It shouldn't be necessary to
worry about whether "show pictures" is on.  It's a reminder of how tricky
surfing is even for people who are very experienced, when you have a
screenreader on top of a visual browser.  Although you can avoid this
problem with browsers like Lynx, pwWebspeak, and Home Page reader, then you
miss text put up by javascript.

At 07:52 AM 1/13/00 -0800, Patrick Burke wrote:
>I forgot that I had Show pictures turned on.

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)