screen readers, browsers, & the reporting of ALT on & in image (Test 2)

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:00:34 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hello all:
Here's my results for Test 2.

Test 2:
Win95, IE 4.01, JFW 3.2.
Selecting Skip to image map 2 link off the main page,
When JFW reads the whole page, I hear:

Select a direction.
Test 3
This is an ordinary image, not an image map, with ALT text and LONGDESC.
Baloons.
Test 4
This is the same as test 2, except for the following. In test 2, the image map is inside a table. In this test it stands alone.
Select a direction.
North, image map link
South, image map link
East, image map link
West, image map link
North, image map link
South, image map link
East, image map link
West, image map link

(the set twice), then the links:

Here's results documented in a thread in the Wai Interest Group link.
Results link
Kasday@acm.org Send mail link.

Note:
When I go directly to
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/web_access/image_map.html#test2
I appear to be placed at the top of the main page because the first tab says
Skip to image map 1 link
which is different from when I select the Skip to image map 2 link.

-Steve
Steve McCaffrey
Senior Programer/Analyst
Information Technology Services