screen readers, browsers, & the reporting of ALT on & in image maps

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:41:37 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Len, Gregory etal:
A most interesting thread.
Here's my report for test 1, more to follow.

Test 1:
JFW 3.2 and IE 4.01

After selecting Skip to image map 1, I hear
(What Jaws says in square brackets [])

[
Picture of a Compass
Test 2
This is the same as test 1, except that
The ALT text for the whole image is now "Select a direction"
The image has a LONGDESC "antique dial"
Select a direction.
Test 3
This is an ordinary image, not an image map, with alt text and longdesc.]

Then when using the tab key I do indeed hear
North, image map link
South, image map link
East, image map link
West, image map link
If I select one of these I do indeed hear the corresponding information.

Selecting North image map link, I hear,
You have clicked on North.
Return

Selecting South image map link, I hear,