Re: Developer Tools

From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:06:20 -0400
To: "Steven McCaffrey" <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>, <arcben@hotmail.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

There's the "Evaluation and Repair Tool" list at
which has some tools that might be relevant, in that they'd help with part
of the task of creating an accessible page.

We're hoping that within the next half-year or so there will be some
commercial-grade authoring tools that will support the Authoring Tool
Accessibility Guidelines 1.0. Then those tools would have some built-in
assistance on creating accessible Web pages. (You can ask your favorite
software developer when they'll be supporting ATAG 1.0...)

You might also find the "Getting Started: Making a Web Site Accessible"
page at
to be useful for thinking through how to use various WAI resources, or
perhaps you are already familiar with what's listed there.

- Judy

At 03:30 PM 6/12/00 -0400, Steven McCaffrey wrote:
>Hi Ben:
>Excellent question.
>My favorite starting page is:
>I think the only category possibly not falling within what you listed is the
>Evaluation and repair tools, though I'm not sure these are what you are
looking for.
>Steve McCaffrey
>Senior Programmer/Analyst
>Information Technology Services
>New York State Department of Education
>New York State Workgroup on Accessibility to Information Technology
>Web Design Subcommittee
Director,Web Accessibility Initiative(WAI), World Wide Web Consortium(W3C)

WAI Interest Group home page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG