Re: Tagging question...

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:44:14 -0400
To: Melinda Morris-Black <melinda@ink.org>
CC: "WAI Interest Group (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Melinda Morris-Black wrote:

> Actually, what I should have typed was how does Bobby or any of the verification
> applications handle the empty quotes? Does it validate as compliant?

Bobby passes null ALT tags.  Missing ALT tags is valid for HTML 3.2.  Null ALT is valid
HTML 4x.

> Thanks to all that have responded. I can always count on quick responses from this
> group. The page Carl sent is particularly wonderful --
> http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/alt/alt-text.html

Alan Flavell is brilliant and occasional contributes to this list.  The article in
question, however, is NOT strongly oriented towards consideration of the blind.  For
bullets and rules, use * and --- which have the advantage of not usually being spoken
by a screen reader, unless the user asks for it.  Reference
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/alt/alt-table.html which summarizes things up
nicely.