RE: Anchor Names -- a P4 item?

If you want to read the architecture documents, in which Tim Berners Lee
describes the design goals behind the web, and how it should work, they are
available on the W3C web site. They are not always easy to understand, but
they are the principles that have guided the development of the web. The
relevant ones to this discussion can be found at
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms, but the Design Issues stuff is
interesting reading - http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues

Basically, the idea in designing the system was taht you need a way of
referring to thinngs. So you give them a URI. Then you need a way of nt
running out of URIs, and you need a way of people using them. So you invent
an interface (links, that are text or something which describes the URI) for
people to find things. THen it doesn't matter what the underlying information
is. THis is important - what is meaningful in chinese, or to a chinese person
writing an english document, or to an english person writing a chinese
document, are different things. Too different to try and read meaning into
the stuff that is there for the machine to understand, unless you are
prepared to process entirely at the level of the machine. (There are cases
where this is not true, but as an axiomatic requirement it tends to
fail. Which is why people have strange names like McCathieNevile)

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile