RE: Anchor Names -- a P4 item?

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:39:43 -0700
To: "Bruce Bailey" <bbailey@clark.net>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 6:15 PM -0400 6/1/00, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Or is this a general design issue, and therefore not in the domain of the
>WCAG?  "Use sensible file names for your HTML documents" is not in the WCAG
>either.  Can anyone point me to a reference (with face validity) that
>includes such basics?

Using sensible file names is not a requirement nor should it be.
The URI scheme is not meant to convey information or data -- it is
meant to be an almost-entirely arbitrary system (once past the
protocol and hostname identifiers) that associate arbitrary content
with a unique identifier.  There is no requirement that the
unique identifier be human readable, human readable, human
parsable, or convey any information at all apart from uniqueness.

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/