RE: Microsoft threat to XML? (no, script is defacto disaster, not threat)

From: David Sheehy <dsheehy@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:31:22 +1000
To: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

>If we can point the way to accessible scripting practices, including how it
>gets blended or connected with XML, Microsoft will be there among others
>bringing resources to bear to examine the proposals and if they make sense,
>implement them.

Agreed.

>Whatever you personally think of Sun, Adobe, Microsoft, et_al., to be
>effective
>advocates of the disability interest we cannot affort to demonize any of them
>or fail to constructively engage with them in the search for an objective,
>all-are-winners solution to this puzzle.

I originally wanted to leave tech politics out of this. I certainly
see the need to work constructively with Microsoft. Which is kinda
why I blew my top when I saw the plan to incorporate scripts which
are only compatible with Microsoft products (Explorer yet again),
after seeing Microsoft blow their own trumpet over XML and
accessibility.

>All the same reasons that make Microsoft the biggest imaginable pain when they
>are being a pain, make them the biggest imaginable help when they are being a
>help.  Whether they are being pain or help, is, mirabile_dictu, to some degree
>under the control of the professional attitude we exhibit as we approach the
>dialog.

I'm sorry for ranting. I just thought it seemed hypocritical the way
Adobe was attacked unthinkingly, while Microsoft get kudos for doing
very little for accessibility.

David