Re: Wells Fargo introduces 'Web-enabled' ATMS

From: David Sheehy <dsheehy@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:27:11 +1000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> Wells
>calls them "Web-enabled" because the technology is now in place that could
>eventually let customers buy products at the terminals.
>
>Users just slide in an ATM card, punch in a personal identification number on
>a keypad and then follow the instructions on the screen.
>
>The difference, however, is that movie previews will play continuously on the
>machines until a customer steps up and begins a transaction. "Gladiators" is
>showing this week.
>
>As the customer starts banking, advertising will pop up on the screen, and
>customers can choose if they want more information about a product. Later,
>Wells may allow advertisers to sell merchandise.

That sounds like a really bad idea, that runs counter to the purpose
of an ATM (and personal security).

I've always considered webvertising and banner-ads a real devolution
of the capitalistic arts, and it's pretty sad the way companies want
to spread the virus of spam and annoyance into every facet of life.
Billboards are bad enough, thank-you.

<grrrrr>

David