RE: Seeking guidance...

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 13:47:31 -0400
To: "Chuck Letourneau" <cpl@starlingweb.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Unsolicited advice...

[snip]

> However, I feel strongly that page developers should (must) get into the
> habit of enabling device independent triggers on all suitable scripts in
> spite of the problems with the current crop of event-handlers
> noted earlier on the IG list.

Philosophically, I agree with you, but please keep this in mind:
(1)	6.4 and 9.3 are P2, 6.3 (re. NOSCRIPT) is P1.
(2)	No currently available browsers even support onFocus and onBlur.
(3)	The formal HTML 4.01 specification does not permit onFocus and onBlur to
nearly the same degree that it validates onMouseOver and onMouseOut.

Given the above, IMHO, time and effort that one might spend on this issue
would be much productive if directed towards advocating for more robust
development of NOSCRIPT content.  Of course, if one is inspired by a
campaign against the "click here" mindset -- and is bored by idea of
championing the use of NOSCRIPT -- by all means work on the problem you care
about!