Re: free expertise neded?[Fwd: Website Design]

At 02:17 AM 12/17/1999 , David Poehlman wrote:
>From: BRENDA VEAZEY <bveazey@OSASPE.DHHS.GOV>
>The HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation
>(ASPE) is
>currently working on redesigning their home page.
>Please take a look at the DALTCP home page (address below) and tell us:
>-  Do graphics matter?  Do graphics make information easier/harder to
>read?

As a general reminder to everyone on this list, please DO say that
graphics matter, AND say that they should be used correctly (meaning
with ALT text).

It's very easy for some of us to forget that while we personally
don't use graphics (much), they may be *essential* for some people
to be able to understand and use a web site easily!

So, even if you're blind, you may want to drop them a note that says
"Graphics -can- increase access to information, if used correctly!
Many people with limited textual comprehension can be assisted by
proper and informative use of graphics when appropriate.  Naturally,
all graphics should include appropriate ALT text for access by people
who don't use a graphical means to access the web."