Re: Practice Describing Pictures, anyone game?

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> What would be interesting is to use some metadata tools to provide bits of
> metadata about the photos. That way you can find out who made what statements
> about them, and then get the descriptions from the person you trust.
>
> Charles McCN
>
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>
>   Claude wrote:
>   quote
>      Such audio tapes can provide an interesting perspective, but I am glad I
>      don't have to depend on someone else's "opinion" as my only source of
>      information.
>   unquote

Sure an approach would be very helpful to anyone, but especially to
someone who has no vision. Having one or more sighted individuals
validate descriptive text (audio) is ideal, but such assistance is the
exception, not what generally occurs in the real world.

I would like to target in on an individual who has vision problems and
is attempting to access an Inter or Intra net page that uses graphics to
convey information. Would we normally expect someone with full vision to
be assisting the individual who has vision problems?

The question is "Would this level of effort be expected by everyone who
is creating descriptive text to define and explain the use of EVERY
graphic image on a web site?".

To be an effective tool, simple and reasonably objective text must be
produced so the non visual user will achieve a level of communication
equal to the benefit experienced by a sighted person viewing the same
information.

Is this possible to achieve 100% effective communication 100% of the
time even with the best trained observer, most experienced html
programer, and very creative web page designer?

I have been told that the ability to visualize images from descriptive
text depends on when the lack of vision occurred - at birth to some
period later in life after the individual has had a chance to acquire
language skills and associate actual visual images with descriptive
words.

How can a sighted person measure the effectiveness of their efforts to
write triple A descriptive text?

Claude Sweet
Education Technologist

"Each day provides a another opportunity to acquire new knowledge and
perspectives."