Re: Stylesheet columnisation

"GARETH P PARKINSON" <298gpp@tay.ac.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone know if stylesheets can be used to format text into columns,
> or is it only possible when using tables for layout?

Well, neither CSS1/2 nor table can format text into columns (I mean,
multi-column layout where text flows into columns automatically).
You can do some workaround with float or positioning, but in either
case, you have to decide which part of text should be in which column.

Actually, there is a proposal for CSS3 to achieve "real" multi-column
layout [1].  If you are interested in multi-column layout, take a look
at the proposal and send your comments to www-style@w3.org.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol

Regards,
--