Re: Is there pi?

From: Christopher R. Maden <crism@exemplary.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:43:43 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
[Masayasu Ishikawa]
>crism@exemplary.net (Christopher R. Maden) wrote:
>> However, &pi; will only work in HTML 4.0 browsers; &#960; will only
>> work in some browsers if the document character encoding is defined as
>> UTF-8 or another full Unicode encoding;
>To clarify: numeric character references should work regardless of
>character encoding.  &#960; SHALL be interpreted as "GREEK SMALL
>LETTER PI" even if the document is encoded in US-ASCII (or whatever).
>Indeed there are some user agents which incorrectly treat NCRs
>differently depending on character encoding, but please note that
>such behavior is non-conforming.

Yes.  The behavior nonetheless exists - Netscape 4 (4.0 on Macintosh and
4.something on Solaris) is where I have encountered this.  MSIE on Windows
behaves properly; I don't know about on Macintosh.  Lynx, of course,
performs properly.

Designing a Web page based on SHALL is a fun exercise, but not very useful.
WILL is the relevant word for Joyce's question.

>Some pre-XML browsers support hexadecimal numeric character references,
>sush as Alis Technologies' Tango browser.  Tango does display &#x3c0;

Tango added that feature after the XML WG developed the &#x convention.  I
didn't say that only XML browsers supported it, but that only browsers
developed after XML did.  Supporting something before it exists is

Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Exemplary Technologies
One Embarcadero Center, Ste. 2405
San Francisco, CA 94111