RE: please help correct a problem?

At 04:53 PM 10/13/99 -0400, Jamie Fox wrote:
>I have to disagree here.  I don't think that your example of a student
>outside the class wishing to survey the notes is applicable.  It is my
>understanding that most universities don't make a practice of having class
>notes accessible to any student outside the class who wants them.  In fact,
>I don't believe it is offered to students in the class unless there are
>special circumstances necessitating it.  It would likely lead to much
>cheating.  The example would be the same as saying that a live in class
>demonstration must always be presented in a format accessible and
>understandable to the deaf and blind even if no such students are present
>in the class.

I think we have different ideas of what is in these class notes.  I took
his example to mean the web content was on a class site and that the
students all needed access to this information to complete the course
successfully.  If the notes themselves were a special thing prepared as an
accomodation I see no reason why they shouldn't be AAA compliant with the
WCAG.

>As a learning body a school/professor has every right to demand a student
>learn something new as long as reasonable accommodations are present if
>necessary.  It is the point of most education institutions to expand
>horizons.  That goal may well include using new technology.
>
>I am by no means making this same argument for physical accessibly such as
>curb cuts etc.  That is, they are/should be required where ever a disabled
>person may wish to travel.

Fortunately the law does not make such a sharp distinction as you have, here.

On the other hand, I agree fully with Scott that these are knotty issues.
I don't pretend to know how the specific case in question should be
resolved.  To paraphrase Cynthia's closing:

Do not construe this as accommodation or ethical advice.  If you need such
advice, please consult a professional practitioner.

Al