Re: How to describe Flowcharts, Schematics, etc

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:12:28 +0100
To: "Chris Kreussling" <CHRIS.KREUSSLING@ny.frb.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> The Object Management Group <www.omg.org> has done a lot of work in this area.
In particular, I think their Meta-Object Facility (MOF) and XML Metadata
Interchange (XMI) may be applicable.
> MOF is a Meta-Meta-Modelling Language: a syntax and semantics for describing
other meta-models: org charts, schematics, computer systems, whatever. XMI is an
XML format for exporting and importing arbitrary meta-models to and from MOF.
Through XMI, any meta-modeling language could be converted into any other
meta-modeling language.
> *In theory* any model could be converted into XMI for storage on a server and
transmission over the Web, e-mail, whatever. A User Agent can parse the XMI to
read the model and present it to the user. To present a different class or set
of models, you develop a meta-model, XML DTD, and XMI transforms. Optionally,
you develop stylesheets for different presentation media.

Now we are talking! <grin/>

I knew there would be other uses for XMI.
I had said if I could draw the flowchart, I can
model it in XML.
Why invent my own DTD when omg have done
it for me.

Love the idea.

Love to see a simple implementation
so that when my colleagues say
can I have a copy, I use the XSL transforms
to convert from the XMI to the graphical
form for sighted colleagues,
and to (say) a hyperlinked HTML version
for the VI members of the group, just
as I do with the rest of the presentation
which is text based!

Love the ideas, now how to select from
the crap set of graphical symbols in
the UML guide graphical set <yuk/>
to use them for
QFD charts, QPD diagrams, system
symbolic diagrams .........

regards, and tks for a great idea, DaveP