Re: FW: Accessibility of ATW

Folks,

	If a triple-A rating indicates a site is as close as possible to ALL
disabled persons, then I seriously question whether this site deserves such
a high rating.

	The site is almost devoid of graphics other than the logo and the icons
promissing accessibility. Even the pages which discuss use of color and
techniques to use graphics, are without examples (though examples of code
abound!) The content should be of interest to anyone who wants to make a
web site, but it doesn't begin to be accessible to much of its intended
audience without including meaningful graphics, at the minimal, as examples
when referring to graphics.

	In Virginia, the largest audience to this site might be 8th graders who
are fulfilling a state objective to have each VA student create a web site
by the end of 8th grade. (8th graders are typically about 13 years old and
use textbooks rich with color and graphics.) I would not be able to use the
site with disabled high school students, or even with my current (pretty
sharp) remedial summer school students, because it lacks one of the basic
building blocks of communications - the picture.

	On the positive side, the site looked nice on a color monitor with MSIE.

				Anne

At 08:58 AM 7/6/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>The "All Things Web" would be triple-A -- except that it only has one
>search screen.  Terry Sullivan is holding himself to a VERY strict
>interpretation of the WCAG...

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert