Re: Where are guidelines about overuse of <font size> and <table>?

Daniel Dardailler wrote:

> > At 02:21 p.m. 03/06/99 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > >Then I started with
> > >http://www.w3.org/WAI/
> > >expecting to find things like:
> > >     Don't use <font>; use stylesheets in stead.
> > >     Don't use <tables> for layout
> > >But I can't find them stated plainly. Help?
> >
> > On the WAI homepage, under Resources, there is a poorly named
> > link "WAI Quicktips" that leads you to the following:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/QuickTips
> >
> > There appears to be no link on the WAI homepage to the web
> > content checklist, but there probably should be; the URL for
> > that is:
>
> One of the first link off the WAI Home page is
>    (26 Feb) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
>
> What else do we need ?
> The guidelines embedded inline in our home page ?

no, but the link to the guidelines could well be
supplimented with a link to the checklist.

In the current organization, it's not clear whether
the relationship of the guidelines to the
checklist is "part of" or "see also";
each has it's own title page (incl. status of this document)
which suggests "see also" but there's no
entry for the checklist on http://www.w3.org/TR/
nor http://www.w3.org/WAI/

Also... the link from the "How the Guidelines are organized"
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH/#Organization
section to the checklist doesn't go thru the references
section; that again suggests "part of".

In any case, it's now clear to me that the checklist
is more what I was after; for example:

"7.1 Avoid using tables for layout.   "
http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH/wai-pageauth.html#tech-avoid-table-for-layout

The admonitions against overuse of <font size> aren't
as explicit, but there's some relevant stuff in there.

--
Dan Connolly
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/