Where are guidelines about overuse of <font size> and <table>?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 14:21:22 -0600
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
WAI folks,

I recently received a tax publication via U.S. post from

Bernard F. Crowly, Jr.
Acting Commissioner
Massachusetts Department of Revenue
PO Box 7010
Boston, MA 02204

On the back it says

	Instructions for e-filing can be found in this booklet
	by visiting our website at:

I like to thow paper copies away in favor of online documents,
so I went looking.

The font size was smaller than I was used to; after checking
my client configuration, I went into debug mode and did
a "view source." I was disappointed to find:

alink="#663333" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">

                commonly requested tax publications offered by
                the Department of Revenue can be found below.

in the source of

Tax Publications
Last Modified: Friday, 12 February, 1999 13:41:00 GMT

So in my "SGML cop" habit, and as a taxpaying citizen,
I began to cite them in violation
of the W3C Web Content Guidelines (and perhaps the relevant
U.S. law... can't remember enough to cite it just now.)

I found the feedback address mailto:dor@shore.net
after reading:

"Please note that this e-mail service is intended for comments
about the DOR website only."

Then I started with

WAI Home Page

[I suggest a more complete title for that page:
	W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) Home Page]

expecting to find things like:

	Don't use <font>; use stylesheets in stead.
	Don't use <tables> for layout
	Don't set the background color without setting
		the foreground color and vice versa.

But I can't find them stated plainly. Help?

The closest I found was
"5. Use markup and style sheets properly. "

but I didn't see anything about the <font> tag in particular.

One other tidbit from "view source":

I reviewed the online information about this product:

FrontPage 98 - Overview

but I could not find an mechanism for online product feedback.

Dan W Connolly