HTTPS/SSL support

From: BART Webmaster <webmaster@bart.gov>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:20:03 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I am the website administrator for a public transit agency in the San
Francisco Bay Area. We have a relatively large website and are finishing
the implementation of WAI recommendations. We've also started selling
fare media online and have run into a problem that WAI doesn't seem to
address specifically: Older browsers, and browsers that are not properly
configured, cannot access secure servers.

Although the technology is an industry standard (HTTPS/SSL), some
members of both the non-disabled and disabled communities have user
agents that are incompatible. A browser in question (Lynx 2.8 with no
SSL support) cannot be updated because it resides an ISP's server. The
ISP apparently is uncooperative with the SSL upgrade.

Is there a baseline browser/browser configuration standard for website
developers from an established industry or academic group like the
W3C-WAI or Trace? Are there established guidelines for secure servers?