Re: Making an accessable site. Comments welcome.

At 2/25/99 08:39 PM, Joe Waller wrote:
>I have been working on a state wide education web site for a couple of years
>now and have tried to make the site both appealing and accessible each term.
>It can be challenging to keep it accessible while keeping the appearance
>fresh and consistent each term. I would appreciate any comments or feedback
>you might have.
>The site can be found at a virtual address of:  http://statewide.orst.edu/
>The site can also be found at:  http://osu.orst.edu/dept/osustate/
Generally clean pages. You have clearly given thought to their
accessibility design.

Suggestion: in long, multiline list of  anchors at bottom, end each line
but the last
with " | " to indicate this is a terminator, even at the end of the line,
there are more
on the next line. (unnecessary when tabbing through them, but useful for
screen
magnifiers.)

On your distance learning page, tabbing through links misses the headings that
categorize the following lists of anchors. With so many links that is a lot
to go through
linearly. Consider using a hierarchy first of topics, each of which is
linked to its
dozen or so more detailed links.

 On that page the comma terminators consistently serve the purpose of the
within-line
separators " | " in the other pages and at the bottom of that page.
However, a comma
is a small character, and may be missed for low-vision.

Regards/Harvey Bingham