Re: Microsoft's response on the ALT attribute and how Frontpage deals with it

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:24:07 +0100
To: Brian Kelly <lisbk@ukoln.ac.uk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@naw.org>

> I think you're being unfair in yopur response.  An authoring tool has three
> options for providing defaults ALT values - give a null string, give a
> standard chunk of text "This is an image" or provide information
> automatically derived from the image file "Size =100 Kb".  Of these
> alternatives, I think the latter is preferable.
>
> What concrete suggestion would you make to vendors of authoring tools?

The WAI has a Working Group working on Guideliens for Authoring Tools,
here's what they say in the latest draft (Jan 12)
  http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/WD-WAI-AUTOOLS

2.5.8: [Priority 1]
  The authoring tool must never insert rule-generated description
  text into the document (default "alt"-text) or a properties field
  (place-holder "alt"-text). Automated processes may only place
  pre-authored (by a person) text when the meaning or function of the
  described object is known with certainty.

In other word, default alt values is a no-no, mostly because it then
makes it very hard for repair tools of all kind to do their job
effectively, since they cannot really look for missing data.