Re: When is a web site accessible?

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:41:52 -0800 (PST)
To: paul@disinhe.ac.uk
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Accessibility is a spectrum, from "very accessible" to "not
accessible".  (Note that it's possible to be "not accessible",
but that there's no such thing as "absolute accessibility.")

Truth to tell, "accessible" means "_I_ can use it", where
"I" is the person talking.  The goal of accessibility is to
make the group of people who fall under "_I_ can use it"
as great as possible, and definitely not exclude anyone using
a valid user agent, or with a non-standard computer setup,
or with a disability of some sort.

The WAI page author guidelines are a measuring tool to see
how close we come to that goal of everyone being included
in "I".

--Kynn