Re: Adapting Material For Varying Reading Levels

Patrick,

	I enjoyed your website and it is well done and informative. I read the
beginners, intermediate and instructor levels (history), and they each
contain the basic information, with additional details added as the levels
rise. In the next few days, I'll try to have some kids check it out and let
you know if they were able to find their levels easily.

	The graphics that indicate the various levels aren't distinct, so children
may have to guess to find their level, but the beginner's level is the
first, so kids who cannot read the word "beginners" are likely to start
there anyway. Maybe picture of different size/age people would help. A
picture of a youngster for Beginners, a picture of a middle-schooler for
Intermediate, a picture of a older teenager for advanced, and a picture of
an adult/teacher for Instructor. The word "easy" could be used instead of
"beginners".

	The site looks like a great beginning in solving the problems.

				Anne

At 01:46 AM 6/29/1999 -0700, Patrick Burke wrote:

>"Principles of Aeronautics"
>http://muttley.ucdavis.edu/Book/index.html
>
>Not sure, but this might be a useful example of how content can be adapted
for
>audiences of different reading levels. Perhaps some of you can comment on how
>the graphics presentation is varied & how helpful this example would be for
>your target populations.
>
>Patrick
>

>Patrick J. Burke
>
>burke@ucla.edu
>http://www.dcp.ucla.edu/staff/patrick.htm
>
>University of California
>Los Angeles
>The Disabilities & Computing Program
>at the UCLA Office of Academic Computing
>
>Analyzing Usability
>Since 1994

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1