RE: simple & understandable

From: Chuck Hitchcock <chitchcock@cast.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:40:39 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
>Wayne Meyers wrote: I don't agree. I want to dismiss the problem.

>WM also wrote: Conflating accessibility issues with understandability issues
could prove horribly counter-productive and could diminish the potential
impact of the
WAI campaign to improve the quality of markup out there.

CH:  I sure don't want to dismiss the problem but feel that a wall needs to be
put up between the

1. "universal design for learning issues"
2. "understanding meaning issues"
3. "the organization of content issues"

and the existing page content author guidelines.

In general, I agree with your thoughts on this in relation to the existing
charter for the W3C Web Access Initiative.

Many of the issues that impact potential cognitive guidelines have been or
will be discussed by human factors folks and much could be done by those who
already do this work.  I do think that guidelines are possible but agree with
you they should not be co-mingled with the accessible content guidelines.

Chuck