Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:10:19 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 03:22 AM 6/14/99 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>If we issued guidelines that said when discussing the Packers you need an
>image of a football, a cheesehead and a field, then we would be overly
>restrrictive about what we are doing. But those things are appropriate
>illustrations.

But are they *necessary*?

We seem to be crossing a line here from saying "use appropirate <foo>" to
"we have decided that appropriate means <bar>".

> But just as words can help
>someone who cannot see make some sense of a picasso or the construction of a
>jet engine, images and sounds can enable someone who cannot read to make
>sense of formal symbolisms

While it might be nice that that person could make sense of formal
symbolisms after seeing them in pictures -- if they can never *use* those
symbolisms for their intended purposes specifically because they can't read
-- why should we mandate or even "guide" a web author to accomodate that?

note to the quick to react: this should not be ill-equated to an assumption
that I think blind people shouldn't have access to ALT text --
intelligently appreciating a description of an artistic work is still using
the work. Someone who can't read might "enjoy" the visual representation of
a formal symbolism, but that's not the symbolisms purpose, as is the visual
enjoyment of an artistic work.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it Online - http://www.webgeek.com/about.html
Coming this summer! --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org