Re: DRAFT: Now with URL included!

At 01:04 PM 6/13/1999 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>This is still a rough document, but I've tried to incorporate some
>of the suggestions made on this list, in the form of advice to
>web authors.  I likely am missing several important strategies for
>increasing the understandability of a web page, and if you'd be
>kind enough to share them with me (via this list or private email
>to kynn@hwg.org or aware@hwg.org), I can include them in a later
>draft of this document.
>
>Constructive criticism and comments are welcome.  Thanks.

Kynn you have done a great job of summarizing much of the important basics
required by the issue. I'd like to add some suggestions you can include to
aid a web author in making the content more accessible.

1) definitions and/or examples for an unfamiliar terms can be included via
a link on the term/s in question, to a small page that defines the term or
shows an example. If there will be several of these, the web author may
want to make a "definitions" page with bookmarks, so that the links can go
to the exact term desired. This can be used instead of defining the term in
a phrase or sentence in the text.

In html 1.0 it was possible to put a "glossary" at the bottom of a page,
with links to the glossary terms as needed in the text. I assume this can
still be done, instead of a separate page for "definitions", if the number
of terms is limited.

2) Animated graphics should not be avoided, but should be used carefully so
that too many animations aren't all going at the same time on the screen.
Arranging the animated graphics so that only one is showing per screenful
of page, would be helpful and limit the competition between elements all
begging to be noticed. Like still graphics, animated graphics convey
meaning when chosen properly.

3) Large and many graphics can be put on a page without slowing download
time by using two forms of each graphic. The original size, and a resampled
version, perhaps resampled to 25% of the original. Link the 25% sample to
the page, and insert a link on the small graphic to access the full-sized
graphic. This is very import for detailed drawings, maps and other graphics
that are of little use in the small size because of the need to see details.

One shopping site I use regularly, http://www.eddiebauer.com, uses the
small and large graphics to display their merchandise, so you can see
overall style in the small graphic, and garment/fabric details on the large
graphic.

				Good work, Kynn,

					Anne

Anne L. Pemberton