AlertBox: The death of single-design pages?

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 08:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Jakob Nielsen's AlertBox column talks about web accessibility and the
WCAG, and states the following:

"But I am not sure that single-design pages will be able to deliver
 optimal usability in the future. For example, screen sizes will soon
 differ so drastically between high-end office workstations and small
 mobile devices that the same pages will not satisfy both. And I also
 think that one can make pages much more usable for blind users and
 users with other disabilities by designing explicitly for these groups."

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990613.html

Agree or disagree?  To tie into a recent thread:  how does access
for cognitively impaired users tie into this?  We've been saying that
you don't need a separate web site for blind (et al) users, but --
if content needs to be actually rewritten for a new audience in order
to make it comprehensible -- is this the end of "writing once" and
the beginning of specialized web sites for each type of disability?

Your thoughts are welcome.

--Kynn