RE: QED & Marshall McLuhan

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@crosslink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:08:08 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:26 PM 6/11/1999 -0400, Rich Caloggero wrote:
>One of the things which in deed may make sites easier to understand by
>people with cognative disabilities is to use talking technology (screen
>reader or self voicing browser) so that the text on the page is both spoken
>and vissible. People who have trouble reading tend to bennefit from
>information presented in multiple modalities at once. Software such as
>Kurtzweil's Omni-3000, designed specifically to help those with reading
>difficulties, highlights the word, phrase, sentence, paragraph being read
>as it speaks the text. Thus, a self voicing browser with the ability to
>highlight as it speaks might be a useful tool for some.

I'd like to know more about the mentioned browser. What features common to
MSIE or Netscape are not available with this browser? I can immediately see
that it could be helpful with my summer student who will be learning to
read and write, but I'm not sure it will be all that useful to adult LD
folks seeking information from the web. The last time I put a speech reader
on our computer (Zoom), specifically for my husband to use (he's LD - a
limited reader), he didn't like it and had me take it off because it kept
"taking over" the machine when it wasn't wanted.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert