Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

At 04:38 PM 6/10/1999 , Anne Pemberton wrote:
>Thank you for your kindness. I gather you found the side accessible but not
>understandable.

Is [INLINE] [INLINE] the content of the page?  If so, then I
was able to access that content.  If not, then I suspect I was
unable to access the content that was encoded in your images.

>You've said that accessibility doesn't mean understanding
>or comprehension.

Correct.

>You can access the information on the page.

No, I can't.  I can't access the information in your images.
I have no way of knowing, using Lynx, that one of those images
reads "apembert designs" and another one reads "Anne Pemberton."

That information is lost to me (I had to use Opera, and turn on
images in order to find it out), and so your content is _not_
accessible.

Whether or not I could have _understood_ "apembert designs" and
"Anne Pemberton" is a moot issue, since you didn't present me
with that content from the start.  It was _denied to me_ because
of my choice of browser, and for other people it would have been
_denied to them_ because of their disability.

>What is the problem????? <smile>!

Gee, I don't know, Anne! <smile>

My original conclusion is correct:  We are _not_ speaking the
same language when we talk about designing an accessible page,
if you can claim that a lack of ALT text on an image is a problem
with comprehension rather than with accessibility of the
content.