Re: QED & Marshall McLuhan

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:42:35 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I was gone all day yesterday, so you were spared my interactive
dialogue on this subject.  However, I remain unconvinced that
every single page on the World Wide Web has an obligation to make
itself understandable to every single person in the world of
every cognitive/understanding level.

I view "understandability" as a completely different issue from
"accessibility", and while I have compassion for those who are
unable to comprehend everything presented to them, I cannot
possibly fathom the idea of instructing web designers to "dumb
down" every single page they create, irregardless of the intended
audience.

Yes, everyone should be able to _access_ the information, and
there should be a guarantee of _that_, but I cannot stomach the
idea that it is _my_ obligation to make _every_ piece of
information "understandable" in a way that is obvious to someone
with a learning disability.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member