Re: QED

From: Sally Paveley <sallyp@advisory-unit.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 21:19:47 +0100
To: "Wayne Myers-Education" <wayne.myers@bbc.co.uk>, "w3" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

>> But the issue here is that it is a difficulty with understanding that
>makes many things inaccessible to people who have learning difficulties.
>
>I don't agree. Perhaps I should explain this fundamental distinction
between
>accessibility and understanding. Having difficulty understanding something
>doesn't mean it is inaccessible.

However eloquently you argue about semantics the fact remains that people
who have learning difficulties often have a problem with (accessing?)
information because they don't understand it. That is the nature of their
disability.  It may be interesting to pursue a philosophical arguement about
whether or not this should be so but what really matters is the principle
that people with learning difficulties, in common with all groups of people
who have a disability, have a right to have their needs considered when
information is being made available.  If you don't want to call that access
then use another word; 'a rose by any other name'?  When people with
learning difficulties talk about accessible information they mean
information presented in a way they can understand.