Re: Debunking the need for "text-only" parallel sites

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:28:13 -0700
To: "Bruce Bailey" <bbailey@clark.net>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 03:44 PM 5/21/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>How were these folks convinced that
>universal desegregation WAS as good thing?  How do we convince a blind user
>-- who LIKES coming across "text-only" pages that s/he is accepting a
>"disability ghetto"?

In this case we need to show them that graphically robust,
highly interactive, bleeding edge sites can be made accessible
to them just as easily -- or easier! -- as text-only sites.

This relies on "converting" the high end design folks to the
cause -- infecting them with the accessible web authoring
meme.  That can be tricky because most of them have heard the
myths alluded to in http://www.kynn.com/+myths -- so we need
to educate them, and then we can show the doubters in the
disabled community that we _can_ make sites usable by everyone,
and they don't have to be the second-class citizens of the
web, entering through the plain, unmarked door at the side of
the store.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member