AWARE Center Common Myths About Web Accessibility

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 18:17:16 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I've just added the following page at the HTML Writers Guild's
AWARE Center:

Common Myths About Web Accessibility

MYTH #1: An accessible web page is dull, boring plain text.
MYTH #2: Accessible web authoring is expensive and time-consuming.
MYTH #3: Accessibility is hard! Let's go shopping!
MYTH #4: Disabled people don't use the web!
MYTH #5: Good assistive technology can solve all accessibility problems.
MYTH #6: Web accessibility only helps people with disabilities.

I don't directly address legal requirements (ADA, 508, etc) and
the misinformation surrounding that, because other folks (such as
Judy) are true experts on such matters and I'm just a dabbler in
law-related issues.

But I'd like your feedback on this page as well as any additions
or comments you may have.  Thanks!

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member
HTML Writers Guild <URL:http://www.hwg.org>
Director, Accessible Web Authoring Resources and Education Center