<select> element (html 4.0)

From: Rich Caloggero <rich@accessexpressed.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:57:16 -0500
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I've been playing around with various form elements with msie4.1 and JFW
(screen reader). The <select> element it particularly troublesome. If the
multi attribute is set, it is impossible to tell which elements in the list
are selected and which are not. What distinguished them? There seems to be
a onchange (or something like that) attribute which lets you specify a
script to execute when the value of an option changes. What kind of script
-- jscript/javascript? How can this cummunicate its results to the screen
reader? If anyone has ie4.1 and can at least tell me how these selection
lists are rendered and how things change when something is either selected
or deselected, I can probably write some kind of screen-reader script to
identify these changes. Thanx for any info...

					Rich