Re: Text to speech

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:12:13 -0700
To: <eric_engelmann@inlet.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 07:07 p.m. 10/22/98 -0700, Eric Engelmann wrote:
>I was wondering if there's any text to speech emulators that are free or
>cheap to use in helping design an accessible site. I'm not even sure what
>i'm looking for here, just some ideas, maybe as to what my site would
>'sound' like?

Excellent question -- participants in a HWG project earlier this
year identified "a browser that would show me what my site sounds
like" as one of the most important aids to creating accessible
web pages.

I highly recommend pwWebSpeak -- it costs $150 but you can get a limited
use trial copy for free by asking.  The webpage is
http://www.prodworks.com/ -- and this reminds me, I need to pay my
$150.  This product is a must-have (in my opinion) for serious web
designers who care about making their sites universally accessible!

(Yes, prodworks people, you can quote me on that. ;) )

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California