Re: ISO-8859-1 and meta-tags, etc

From: Lynn Alford <Lynn.Alford@jcu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:54:25 +1000
To: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 11:03 AM +1000 2/9/98, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>If I put an HTTP-EQUIV Content-type into a web page then (as I understand
>it) I don't need to rely on the person who runs the server setting it up
>to give the correct content-type for all my pages.

I wouldn't think that was true.  The average server defaults to sending
files as plain text for any resource it doesn't understand.  I don't
believe that setting an HTTP-EQUIV would work if the file is binary
(program/audio/video) and the server sends that as text.

New MIME types should be easy to add to any server.  I know that it only
takes a couple of minutes on Netscape Enterprise Servers.

Lynn

lynn.alford@jcu.edu.au  | More of your conversation would infect
lalford@nyx.net         | my brain.  Coriolanus
Flexible Learning Unit  | http://www.jcu.edu.au/~imla/