Re: ISO-8859-1 and meta-tags, etc

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 11:03:37 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
If I put an HTTP-EQUIV Content-type into a web page then (as I understand
it) I don't need to rely on the person who runs the server setting it up
to give the correct content-type for all my pages.

In addition, I produce HTML material to be run from a CD-ROM as files
- there is no server to program, so the HTTP-EQUIV is the only mechanism
available.

A related question is how to specify the Language of a document - as I
understand it it is possible to use an HTTP-EQUIV to 'fake' a server
response, but I can't recall what it is (Content-language: en ???) Does
anybody know?

Charles McCathieNevile