Re: Emoticons

From: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:14:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: David Suarez de Lis <phdavidl@usc.es>

oh, try parens or <>
then again, it might think it's invalid html if you use the latter.  I
like your idea though.  what makes you think it will change pitch?

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, David Suarez de Lis wrote:

*Hi all...
*i have been trying to work around the 'smiley problem', ie, that ':)'
*means nothing for aural browsers...
*my current solution is to use a <span class="smiley">*smile*</span> (or
**wink* or *pout* or whatever...) and the use a CSS stylesheet so the
**smile* is printed out in red (or pronounced in a different peach,
*although I haven't tried aural stylesheets as I cannot yet check them)
*Booby approves my pages but on accessibility tips it comments about ASCII
*The only thing I can think of as ASCII art is the '*' surrounding the
*words... how much of a problem is "*grin*" for an aural UA? Would it be
*better just "smile" and making it to stand out of the main text via the
*Any help appreciated...
*(note: pages with this are, if you like to check, at
*Http://web.usc.es/~phdavidl/slidedraw/, any comments and suggestions
*really welcome...)
*<sig> <who> David Su&aacute;rez de Lis
*      <uri> mailto:phdavidl@usc.es
*      <from><institution> University of Santiago de Compostela

touching the internet
voice: 1-(301) 949-7599
Dynamic solutions Inc.
Best of service for your Small Business network Needs